You are going to LOVE today’s recipe for cheesy zucchini soup! SERIOUSLY! The first time I made it I told my dad (with whom we live) that we were having zucchini soup for dinner he was not very good at hiding how gross he thought that sounded. And then he tried it. I believe his exact words were “taste treat!” 🙂
Even my kids love this zucchini soup! They are pretty good about eating veggies because they have a father who loves eating anything and everything, so they have always been exposed to them and required to eat at least a little of everything they are served, but I was not expecting them to be as taken with a zucchini soup as they were! I love making it and will be making it again soon!
This recipe came from a friend of a friend, and I’m so glad that I tried it before writing it off! I hope that you will feel the same way. Enjoy!
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 medium onion
- 2 T parsley
- 1 t dried basil
- ⅓ C butter
- ⅓ C flour
- salt and pepper to taste (about 1 t salt and ¼ t pepper)
- 3 C chicken broth
- 1 t lemon juice
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 large can of evaporated milk
- 2 C of frozen corn
- ¼ C parmesan
- 2 C shredded cheddar
- Chop zucchinis and onion.
- In a large pot, saute the zucchini, onion, parsley, basil and butter together until the zucchini and onion are tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt and pepper and allow to thicken (WHILE STIRRING) to make a roux.
- Stir in the chicken broth and lemon juice.
- Let this mixture boil for 2 minutes, and then add the diced tomatoes, evaporated milk, and frozen corn.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, add the parmesan and cheddar cheeses.
If you enjoy this recipe then you should try these recipes: