These Christmas sugar cookies are fun for the whole family to make and SOOOO yummy!
I can’t wait to share with you the sugar cookie recipe that my mother used when I was a little girl. She got it from her dear friend Jane, who is an excellent cook, and every time I make it I think fondly of them both – – – two of my favorite women and personal heroes!
But enough with the gushy stuff, let’s get to the recipe! I think the reason these Christmas sugar cookies are so good is that they have almond extract in them. Mmmm . . . I do love me some almond extract!
I made these cookies with my kids, so I don’t have any “blog-worthy” photos for you. Just sloppy cookies with gleeful kids!
Here is the recipe. To decorate them, do whatever you would like. We used sprinkles and some pre-made colorful frosting from the store to top the homemade frosting with details.
***You do not need to double this recipe. It makes a lot of cookies.***
- 1 lb butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 6 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream the sugar and the butter.
- Add the eggs, the vanilla, and the almond extract and blend.
- Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Roll out the dough to approximately ¼" thickness and cut with cookie cutters.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes.
- To make the frosting, cream together ¼ cup margarine, 4 cups powdered sugar, 2 egg whites, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 teaspoons whipping cream. Add food coloring if desired.
- Top cooled cookies with frosting and enjoy!
If you enjoyed the recipe for these Christmas sugar cookies then you will also enjoy these Christmas recipes: