Hello, hello! Today I am super duper excited to share with you my mom’s go-to cake recipe: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake. This is the cake she made for every event. I have such fond memories of going to the amusement park every summer with my cousins while we were growing up and going out to tailgate in the parking lot during dinner, always with a big bucket of cold KFC and this Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake. It’s the perfect portable summer picnic cake because there is no messy frosting, doesn’t require silverware if you don’t mind licking your fingers, and it doesn’t get super melty. Also, it is super moist and always delicious even if you can’t get to it on the first day that it is out of the oven. Both of my sisters had forgotten about this cake until I made it for these pictures, and now they are both re-obsessed!
All of the ingredients are listed below, but first I am going to walk you through the steps quickly since they are a bit unusual.
Preheat your oven and then pour boiling water over dry oatmeal in a large mixing bowl and allow to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
Add the sugars and the margarine or butter and stir until it is melted.
Find a cutie to stir for you if you can. 😉
Add the eggs and mix well.
In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa.
Add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredient mixture and mix well.
Stir in 2/3 of the chocolate chips.
Pour batter into a greased and floured 9×13 pan. Sprinkle the chopped almonds and the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the cake batter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- 1¾ cups boiling water
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal (not quick oats)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick margarine or butter
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa
- ¾ cup chopped almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour boiling water over dry oatmeal in a large mixing bowl and allow to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Add the sugars and the margarine or butter and stir until it is melted.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredient mixture and mix well.
- Stir in ⅔ of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle the chopped almonds and the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
Baking this cake with my boy was the first time he stopped and asked me for “his” camera so that he could take pictures of our process. Too cute! I don’t know where he got the idea that he had his own camera, but luckily for him I still have my little point & shoot camera from my pre-DSLR days, so I pulled it out for him and now I catch him photographing each picture he draws and the process of making himself a sandwich. Think he has a blogger for a mama?! He cracks me up!!! I’m so happy he’s mine!
Thank you so much for your kind comments and support lately. I truly appreciate each and every one of you! I hope that you enjoyed my mini-chocolate week and that you will tune into tomorrow for another S’mores Saturdays guest post. You will NEVER believe who the guest poster is! I can’t believe she would post on my tiny little blog! *Pinch me!* And don’t forget to enter to win $50 of Cold Stone Chocolates on the post with my Dark Chocolate Cherry Brownies recipe, as well as two chances to win $25 of Cold Stone Chocolates on Instagram! Have a lovely weekend!