Today I am going to share with you my grandmother’s recipe for Cranberry Orange Bread. My mom used to make it in small loaves for neighbor gifts during the holidays, and I just make it in great big loaves for my family. Oh MAN it is tasty!! It is so flavorful and moist — I just love it! I meant to get this recipe up prior to Christmas, but life got the better of me and it just didn’t happen. So be it . . . there is no reason that this cranberry orange bread can’t be made and enjoyed all year long!
First things first, you need a bag of cranberries. Once you have them, you need to pulse your food processor until they are finely chopped into tiny pieces, as shown below.
Set the cranberries aside, and grate the orange peel next in preparation. You can get a cute little helper for this job if you’d like. Bonus points if her pigtails are falling out and her dress straps are put on wrong so that they are both on the same shoulder . . . 😉
In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, grated orange peel, orange juice, and canola oil.
Prep the dry ingredients by sifting or mixing together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda together.
Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just moistened.
At this point you can finally fold in the cranberries.
Bake the bread in a greased and floured bread pan at 350 degrees for about an hour. Cool a bit and then ENJOY! Yum.
***This recipe makes 2 regular size loaf pans or 5 mini loaf pans.***
Here is the full recipe in a convenient, printable format:
Serves: 2 loaves
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries (1 bag)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1½ cups orange juice
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 4 cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Prepare your cranberries by using a food processor to chop your cranberries into small, but coarse pieces.
- Prepare the orange zest by grating 2 teaspoons of zest from your orange peel.
- Combine eggs, grated orange peel zest, orange juice, and canola oil in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir or sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just moistened.
- Fold in the cranberries to the batter.
- Grease and flour (Baking PAM) the loaf pans, pour in the batter, and bake at 350 degrees for about 60 minutes.
- Remove from the pan; Cool. Wrap to store overnight if needed.
- *This recipe makes 2 regular size loaf pans or 5 mini loaf pans.
If you like this recipe then you may also enjoy the following seasonal food recipes that our family loves: