Make an individual serving pavlova for your guests using this straightforward recipe. This dessert is perfect for company, yet diet friendly!
Looking for a dessert to serve to guest any time of the year? The answer is PAVLOVA! This individual serving pavlova is fancy enough for NYE or Christmas but light enough for a summer luncheon. We LOVE it!
Pavlova is a light, yet decadent treat. My husband spent two years in Australia serving as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and this was one of his favorite foods to which he was introduced during his time in Australia. Pavolva is a dessert that was created in honor of the ballerina Anna Pavlova during a tour that she did in Australia and New Zealand.
I have served this dessert at many dinner parties and events, and every time that I do people ask me for the recipe. And here’s a little surprise for you: it’s shockingly good for you, at least in comparison to other desserts of similar decadent tastes. It is one of my favorite desserts to make while I am on Weight Watchers (sorry, I don’t know how many points it is on the new system), because it is practically just egg whites, so the whipping cream is really the only thing adding serious fat and calories to this tasty treat!
This particular individual serving pavlova recipe is slightly adapted from a version that my in-laws found in an old cookbook called The Silver Palate. I shared the original on my blog a couple of years ago, but since then my mother-in-law has tweaked it a bit to start making individual serving pavlova so that they are prettier for serving to company.
Now let’s get cooking your individual serving pavlova! If you would like to see step by step pictures of this process then see my original blog post HERE.
Here it is in a more condensed version for you:
- 4 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Fresh berries (Strawberries are our favorite!)
- Begin by preheating your oven to 275 degrees.
- Now beat the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar together in a bowl until the whites hold a stiff peak.
- Next you will add the sugar to the mixture very slowly and gradually while you are beating the mixture. Beat until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Beat in the cornstarch, then the vinegar and vanilla. The mixture will get even stiffer and glossier.
- Butter and flour (baking spray works!) a cookie sheet and scoop the mixture onto it in medium-small piles.
- Your oven should be preheated to 275 degrees. NOW TURN IT DOWN TO 250 degrees! Bake your individual pavlovas for 50 - 60 minutes, or until they are firm and lightly browned. Don't worry, they will remain moist inside.
- Cool completely.
- Lightly whip up some whipping cream just before serving, and prepare your berries. You can use any fresh berries that you would like, but I personally love straight strawberries on mine.
- Now serve it up and prepare to amaze your guests and your tastebuds! YUM!
If you like this recipe then be sure to check out a few more of my favorite dessert recipes!