Good morning! I am so excited to share this recipe with you today for the perfect chocolate bundt cake. This cake is my husband’s family’s traditional birthday cake. It is made for every birthday without fail, and always the most important part of the cake eating experience is that you set aside a piece and eat it the next day for breakfast. SERIOUSLY. It gets even more dense and delicious overnight. Best. Breakfast. EVER.
I love pretty much all sweets, but this truly is the best chocolate cake that I have ever had. It is rich and moist and the frosting is like fudge it is so thick. LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOVE!!! It is a bit of work and they always follow the directions exactly, but it is WORTH IT. I promise! I believe that my mother-in-law originally found this recipe in The Silver Palate Cookbook from the 80s. It is one of her favorite cookbooks, which is saying something, because she collects cookbooks and loves to experiment in the kitchen!
Here’s the recipe. Make this perfect chocolate bundt cake soon. You will NOT regret it!!
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups (MINUS 2 Tablespoons) flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 Tablespoons whipping cream
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar, or as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Chop up the unsweetened chocolate. Put the chocolate and butter into the mixing bowl.
- Boil the water and pour the boiling water over the top of the chocolate and butter and allow it to melt.
- Stir the vanilla and chocolate into the bowl.
- Whisk the egg YOLKS into the bowl ONE AT A TIME, blending well after each egg.
- In a separate bowl, mix the baking soda and the sour cream together. The mixture will get a tiny bit frothy.
- Whisk the sour cream mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- Sift the flour and the baking powder together and then add the dry ingredients to the batter. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg WHITES until they are stiff but not dry.
- Stir about a fourth of the egg whites well into the batter. Scoop in the remaining egg whites and gently fold together.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and floured pan. (I use Baking PAM - be generous so none of it sticks in the bundt cake pan!)
- Bake the cake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
- Cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes, and then gently remove the cake from the pan onto a cooling rack.
- Allow the cake to cool COMPLETELY prior to frosting!
- When the cake is cool, make the frosting. Begin making the frosting by putting all of the ingredients into a heavy saucepan over low heat and whisking them until they are smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool a bit. If needed, add more powdered sugar to achieve a spreading consistency. It should still be quite thick.
- Spread the frosting onto the cake while it it still warm.
If you like this recipe then you may enjoy the following recipes:
Overnight Coffee Cake
(PERFECT for holidays like Christmas and birthdays –
whip it up the night before and bake in the morning!)