This recipe for cowboy cookies is an old family recipe that has been passed down and enjoyed for generations! You are going to LOVE it!
Today I am going to share with you our family’s favorite cookie recipe. Technically these Cowboy Cookies are my maternal grandmother’s recipe, and then they became the recipe that my mom made for all of my childhood friends (who still request them anytime I am bringing a treat to them), but, in the end, they became etched in everyone’s mind as my dad’s famous Cowboy Cookies. Why, you may ask? Because he makes them better than ANYONE. ANYONE! No matter how my sisters and I try, we simply can not get our cowboy cookies to taste as good as his. Ours are good, don’t get me wrong, but his are perfection. It’s bizarre.
Now, let’s get one thing straight: my dad is not a chef. Not AT ALL. The man can cook three things: waffles, Chicken Tortilla Soup, and these cookies. But he cooks them WELL. After my mom passed away he began making them for us every time we came home to visit from school. We knew that when we walked in the door for our college spring break that hot Cowboy Cookiess would be waiting for us. Mmmmmmm. They are the BEST hot, but awesome always.
So, without further ado, I present to you my dad’s famous Cowboy Cookie recipe. He made them and won an anonymous bakeoff against all of the little old ladies and moms at our church. True story. 🙂
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 sticks butter or margarine (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups unsifted flour
- 2 cups regular oats (not quick oats)
- ½ bag of chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Mix eggs, both sugars, and butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until mixture is thoroughly mixed and fluffy.
- Add vanilla, and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add chocolate chips, and mix well.
- Drop cookies on sprayed/greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Take out when spongy on top. Be careful not to over bake.
Enjoy —- I hope you have the magic touch like my daddy does!
If you enjoyed this cowboy cookies recipe then you may also enjoy these recipes: