I am so excited to share with you one of my very favorite easy dinners today: my Creamy Spinach Tomato Tortellini Recipe! My sister discovered this tortellini recipe on All Recipes, and I have tweaked it and made it my own as I have made it many, many times since she shared it. First I will walk you through the process and then you will find the full recipe, including measurements, below. Yum, yum, yum!!
For this recipe you will first and foremost need tortellini!! I love the Barilla Three Cheese Tortellini. It doesn’t taste like dried pasta at all! Very flavorful! I got mine at Safeway, by the way, and they are running a special for 75 cents off each bag, so hurry and stock up! The additional ingredients that you will need are fresh spinach, a can of petite diced tomatoes, half and half, onion flakes, minced garlic, dried basil, flour, salt, & pepper, and shredded parmesan cheese.
Boil the tortellini. Follow the directions on the bag in regard to timing.
Chop the fresh spinach.
Place two teaspoons of minced garlic into a skillet over medium heat and sautee until fragrant.
Add the petite diced tomatoes, the spinach, the dried basil, onion flakes, and salt & pepper to the skillet and cook over medium high heat until bubbling.
In a seperate bowl whisk together the half and half and the flour.
Add the half and half/flour mixture to the skillet, along with the parmesan cheese, and stir and cook until everything is heated through and thickening, about 5 minutes or so. Stir in the tortellini.
Now enjoy! Yum yum!
For more delicious tortellini and other Italian food recipes be sure to follow along with Barilla brand pastas on Facebook HERE!
- 1 bag regular sized Barilla three cheese tortellini (8 oz) or 16 oz fresh tortellini in the refrigerated section of your grocery store
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups half-and-half
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Begin by boiling your tortellini noodles until they are al dente (aka ready). Follow the directions on the bag for boiling time.
- While the tortellini is boiling, chop the spinach roughly.
- Heat a large skillet using medium heat and put the two teaspoons of minced garlic into it. Sautee it briefly until fragrant, about thirty seconds or so.
- Add into the skillet the petite diced tomatoes (undrained), spinach, salt, pepper, dried basil, and onion flakes.
- Cook and stir over medium high heat until the mixture begins to bubble.
- In another bowl, combine the flour and half-and-half. Whisk until fairly smooth.
- Add the creamy mixture into the the skillet along with the parmesan cheese.
- Heat through and reduce the heat to medium low and continue to stir and cook until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the drained tortellini and mix together gently.
- Serve and enjoy!
Adapted from AllRecipes.
If you enjoyed this recipe then you may also like: