I am not a vegan. In fact, if a recipe has the words “vegan” or “gluten free” in it I usually discriminate against it in a shameless manner. I just don’t see how a recipe without wheat, milk, eggs, or butter could be GOOD! This Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe, my friends, has gone a long way toward changing my views on this matter.
My sister’s breastfeeding baby was super fussy when she ate dairy, so she had to cut dairy out of her diet for awhile. (Boo!) She has a friend who is vegan who gave her one of these muffins and she was blown away. AH-MAZE-ING! Ever since she gave me this recipe we have been texting each other pictures of bananas getting overripe with captions such as “Jackpot!”, “Whoa baby….” and “Sweet Mamacita!” Haha. We have problems. But, seriously, these things are SO freaking good! I am not even that into banana bread, but these—-oh man, they are my newest obsession.
I have made these with regular milk when I ran out of coconut almond milk (which we keep around for my daughter). They were still good, but not *AS* good. They were more moist with the coconut almond milk. I also usually use dark chocolate chips, but they aren’t always dairy free, so I’m going to just give you the ingredient list from the original recipe.
Make them. You won’t be sorry!
- 2 ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup oil (canola or melted coconut)
- ⅔ cup milk substitute (almond/coconut blend or vanilla soy milk)
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips (They are dairy free.)
- Mash bananas in a big bowl.
- Add oil, milk substitute, and extracts and mix well.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, and chocolate chips. Don't overmix!
- Grease a muffin tin and pour batter into the cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Makes 12 muffins.
If you enjoyed this recipe then you may be interested in the following quick bread recipes: