Today is a big day, my friends. Today I am sharing my SECRET recipe for overnight coffee cake! Ok, fine, let’s be honest: I got this recipe from a friend in college and then decided that it was “my” secret recipe. Okayyyyy . . . kindof weird, I know. HOWEVER, I perfected making it and my family and friends always knew that they could expect me on their doorstep at the crack of dawn on their birthday with this coffee cake in hand, despite me not being a morning person AT ALL. I also wowed my husband with it during our courtship. He swooned when he tasted it, believe me. 🙂
So, how does it work for a night owl to have cake piping hot on someone’s doorstep in the morning?! Well, my friends, it’s an overnight coffee cake. You can make it and bake it immediately or you can make it and shove it in the fridge overnight. That way on the morning of a birthday or special event or holiday you can sleep a bit longer and just pop it in the oven for a special breakfast treat! YUM! It is perfect for serving on a busy Christmas morning! It is best served piping hot with milk. Mmmm…….
Now, without further ado, here is my “secret” coffee cake recipe. ENJOY!
Overnight Coffee Cake
2/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup powdered sugar
6 – 8 teaspoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Cream shortening and sugar.
2. Add eggs and mix.
3. Add buttermilk and mix.
4. Add dry ingredients and mix.
5. Grease a 9×13 pan and pour in batter (it will be thick).
6. Mix together topping and spread evenly over coffee cake.
7. OPTIONAL: Refrigerate overnight. (Perfect for birthdays and holiday mornings!)
8. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean.
9. Make the glaze and pour it over the hot coffee cake.
Here’s a printable version of the recipe:
- ⅔ cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (1/2 cup for cake, ½ cup for topping)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon (1 tsp. for cake, ½ tsp. for topping)
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 6 - 8 teaspoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Cream shortening, sugar, and ½ cup brown sugar.
- Add eggs and mix.
- Add buttermilk and mix.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and mix.
- Grease a 9x13 pan and pour in batter (it will be thick).
- Mix together topping (1/2 cup brown sugar, ½ tsp. cinnamon, ½ tsp. nutmeg) and spread evenly over coffee cake.
- OPTIONAL: Refrigerate overnight. (Perfect for birthdays and holiday mornings!)
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Make the glaze (1 cup powdered sugar, 6-8 tsp. milk, ½ tsp. vanilla) and pour it over the hot coffee cake.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
If you like this recipe then you may also enjoy the following seasonal food recipes that our family loves: