I am so excited to be participating in this Progressive Dinner with so many talented bloggers! I marvel that I am counted as an equal among them! And the giveaway…..OH MY WORD! THE GIVEAWAY!!! Hang on to your hats, people, because you are going to be BLOWN AWAY by this prize package! Read on for more details……
Have you ever been to or heard of a progressive dinner? It is a dinner party where each course is served at a different home. One home for appetizers and drinks, then you walk to the next home for salad, then to the next for the main dish, and on to a final home for dessert. Well this, my friends, is the blogging version of that. Each blog involved will have a recipe for one course of dinner on their blog, and I, naturally, chose dessert. I am excited to share with you one of my very favorite dessert recipes: Pavlova!
Pavlova is a light, yet decadent treat. My husband spent two years in Australia serving as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint, and this was one of his favorite foods to which he was introduced during his time in Australia. Pavolva is a dessert that was created in honor of the ballerina Anna Pavlova during a tour that she did in Australia and New Zealand.
I have served this dessert at many dinner parties and events, and every time that I do people ask me for the recipe. And here’s a little surprise for you: it’s shockingly good for you, at least in comparison to other desserts of similar decadent tastes. It is one of my favorite desserts to make while I am on Weight Watchers (sorry, I don’t know how many points it is on the new system), because it is practically just egg whites, so the whipping cream is really the only thing adding serious fat and calories to this tasty treat!
This particular Pavlova recipe is slightly adapted from a version that my in-laws found in an old cookbook called The Silver Palate. Now let’s get cooking!
Here is a condensed version:
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Fresh berries (Strawberries are my favorite!)
- Begin by preheating your oven to 275 degrees.
- Now beat the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar together in a bowl until the whites hold a stiff peak.
- Next you will add the sugar to the mixture very slowly and gradually while you are beating the mixture. Beat until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Beat in the cornstarch, then the vinegar and vanilla. The mixture will get even stiffer and glossier.
- Butter and flour (baking spray works!) an 8 inch pan (I use a springform pan, although a pie pan would work) and fill gently with the mixture.
- Bake your Pavlova for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until it is firm and lightly browned. Cool slightly, unmold, slide onto a serving plate, and cool completely.
- Lightly whip up some whipping cream just before serving, and top with fresh berries of your choice.
Now, before we talk about this AMAZING giveaway, let’s take a look at the amazing recipes from the other talented bloggers involved in this progressive dinner. Every last thing on the list looks divine! I think I will have to have several dinner parties just so that I can try them all!
And now it is finally the moment that you have been waiting for….THE GIVEAWAY! I am amazed by the generosity of our three amazing sponsors!
Just so you know, we are not being paid to promote these amazing companies. They were just so excited about our progressive dinner idea that they offered to sponsor an amazing giveaway to help us promote the dinner, and since we are all already obsessed with their companies anyway we said yes. Well, more like we all shouted “YES! YES! YES!!!!!!!” while dancing around the room like wild monkeys. Heehee. For real though, we were all thrilled at the opportunity to offer such an amazing giveaway to our readers. Thanks for all of your support! We couldn’t do it without you, and that is the truth.
You have the opportunity to win this amazing prize package valued at approximately $650.00! LUCKY YOU! I almost backed out of participating just to have the chance to win it. Sadly, I am not kidding. Let me tell you more.
From Land O Lakes® Butter you could win the following prize package of yummy butter and divine dishware, worth approximately $150.00:
* One full-value coupon for Land O Lakes® Butter in Half Sticks
* One half stick butter dish
* One serving bowl
* One set measuring spoons
* Four dinner plates
From Dreamfarm you could win the following prize package of fun cooking gadgets that my husband would kill for, worth approximately $150.00:
* 9″ clongs
From Le Creuset you could win a Five Piece Cast Iron Set worth approximately $350.00.
WOW!!!! Are you PUMPED?!?! I am! Hurry and enter, and good luck!