Hey everyone! It’s me Jesseca and I’m glad to be back from One Sweet Appetite! It’s getting to be that time of year when we all want to be outside. I can’t wait to bust out our grill every day and cook up some delicious recipes. Barbecue anything is normally one of my ways of getting a quick and delicious meal onto our table. Having a great sauce is a must! I know it seems strange to have cola in the mix, but trust me…this barbecue sauce is going to knock your socks off! Use it in cooking or give it as gifts. Either way you’ll be excited to show off your sauce making skills!
Now let’s get going on this recipe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (12 oz) bottles chili sauce
- 1 (12 oz) jar cherry preserves
- 1 cup cherry cola
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add your chopped onions and cook until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook one additional minute.
- Stir in the chili sauce, preserves, cola, brown sugar, and vinegar.
- Simmer for one hour until the sauce is reduced to four cups. Make sure you stir occasionally to keep it from burning to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the hot pepper sauce and blend until smooth.
recipe slightly adapted from epicurious
If you are a fan of southern cookin’ you can substitute the brown sugar for molasses in your barbecue sauce. We also like a sweeter sauce. To spice things up reduce the sugar to 1/3 cup.
If you liked this recipe check out these other greats from One Sweet Appetite: